News

Burning Incense Left Unattended Caused Blaze Where Firefighter Died: FDNY

(DNAINFO)  Katie Honan | April 21, 2017 — Burning incense left unattended in a second floor apartment caused the fire where Firefighter William Tolley died after falling five stories, officials said.

The residents of the apartment weren’t home at the time of the fire, but left incense burning in a bedroom as part of a religious practice.

The apartment inside 1615 Putnam Ave. in Ridgewood also lacked fire alarms, which caused a delay in finding and then reporting the blaze, according to fire marshals.

“Compounding the tragic loss of Firefighter Tolley’s life is that the fire he responded to and fought bravely could have been prevented,” said Fire Commissioner Nigro said in a statement.

Tolley, a 14-year veteran of the FDNY, died after falling five stories from the bucket of a fire ladder while responding to the blaze.

Source: Burning Incense Left Unattended Caused Blaze Where Firefighter Died: FDNY – Ridgewood – DNAinfo New York