News

Federal Prosecutors Seek to Join Suit Over Purging of 117K Brooklyn Voters

(DNAINFO)  Janon Fisher | January 16, 2017 — The U.S. Attorney’s office is jumping into a federal lawsuit over the purging of 117,000 voter names by the city Board of Elections Brooklyn office, according to a letter filed with the court Thursday.

Federal civil rights prosecutors told Judge Nicholas Garaufis that their office had been investigating voter suppression in Brooklyn since suspended-Chief Clerk Diane Haslett-Rudiano was accused in April 2016 of kicking out more than a 100,000 active voters while reportedly doing a routine update to eliminate dead people and those who had moved away.

Good government group Common Cause sued the city BOE claiming the Brooklyn borough office violated the National Voter Rights Act by deleting the names of active voters.

“Federal law demands careful maintenance of the voter rolls to ensure lists are kept accurate, without unjustifiably and unlawfully purging eligible citizens,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

Source: Federal Prosecutors Seek to Join Suit Over Purging of 117K Brooklyn Voters – Downtown Brooklyn – DNAinfo New York