(COMMUNITY AFFAIRS) Due to the possible arrival of Hurricane Joaquin in the near future, t he East Coast needs to stay informed and be ready to get prepared for an extended period without power and all of the other problems caused by a hurricane-like storm.
Since storms of this nature are often unpredictable, we want to encourage our community to keep the following in mind:
- Develop a plan with your household members that outlines what to do, how to find each other, and how to communicate if a hurricane strikes. A Family plan to utilize may be downloaded; HERE.
- Stay alert to weather reports and conditions over the next few days (by clicking: HERE) and pay attention to any instructions from local authorities.
- Keep emergency contact numbers with you.
- Secure loose objects in your yard.
- Close and lock windows and doors.
- Prepare a “GO BAG.” A list of items to include may be found by visiting; HERE.
- Keep on hand non-perishable food which can be eaten without cooking.
- Check flashlights or other emergency lights to make sure they are in working condition, and an ample supply of functional batteries.
- Keep a battery operated radio on hand.
- Fill your bathtub with water for flushing the toilet.
- Gas up your car. If electrical power is off, service stations may not be able to operate pumps.
- Prepare appropriate emergency supplies to sustain yourself and your family for a few days if the storm’s path becomes more evident of impacting your area.
- For more information on how to be prepared, please visit; HERE.
For more information on all of the programs we offer, or for crime prevention and personal safety tips visit our website: www.nypdcommunityaffairs.org